Friday, February 22, 2013

Tip for the Day-Reducing Sugar in Our Diet

Last night at my WW meeting one of the ladies said she had a drinking problem. 

KOOL-AID that is! 
The real stuff made with real sugar. 

She said she'd drink the whole pitcher-at least 2 quarts. That's one cup of sugar!

People were giving her advice. Telling her to drink something sugar free like Crystal Light or to drink water instead. 

One of the ladies who has had a very successful weight-loss (and kept it off) told her not to do that. That instead of trying to go cold turkey she should wean herself off the Kool-Aid slowly by adding a little more water to the pitcher.  Increase the amount of water and decrease the amount of sugar slowly so her taste buds could adjust. 

She said that by going cold turkey she'd be setting herself up for failure. 

I did something similar with sugar and oatmeal. I used to use at least 2 Tablespoons of sugar on my oatmeal. I began to reduce the amount of sugar by 1 teaspoon a day. I now can eat my oatmeal with only 1 teaspoon of sugar and I'm OK with it. I know if I'd tried to go cold turkey I wouldn't have stuck to it. 

It also worked with my coffee. I went from 3 teaspoons of sugar per cup to drinking it with no sugar. 

Sometimes we have to trick our bodies in to doing the right thing!


Patti

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good advice tips for reducing sugar intake.