Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Filling the Freezer - Green Drink Ready to Blend


I try and drink a green drink or smoothie made with kale and fruit everyday. Great way to get a couple servings of veggies and a fruit or two in my diet. I find that I often can't use up the kale before it goes bad or I have fresh kale but I'm out of bananas or pineapple. I decided to package up my green drink ingredients and freeze them. That way I'll always have what I need to get my greens in for the day. 

Note: The greens seemed to give off a gassy or strong smell when I opened the bag after it had been in the freezer a week or so. It tasted fine but I just want you to be aware of the possibility.


My recipe is pretty simple...

To make two 6-8 ounce drinks I fill each quart size freezer bag with the following:

3-4 cups kale, washed and chopped 
1/2 banana
1/2 apple (peeled if it isn't organic)
1/2 cup pineapple chunks (canned in juice or fresh)
1/2 cup pineapple juice or a combination of water and juice
(If you don't want to use juice just eliminate it from the bag. Add water to the blender when you're ready to make the drink.)

-you can substitute any fruit you like-

Prep
Wash, peel and core the apple (unless it's organic then I don't peel) 
Cut the apple and banana in to chunks.
Drain the pineapple juice in to a measuring cup.
Layer the apple, banana and pineapple chunks in the bottom of a freezer bag. 
Pour the juice over the fruit. (This will keep the fruit from turning brown.)
Stuff the kale in the bag and close it up. 


Each bag contains 1/2 apple, 1/2 banana, 1/2 cup pineapple
chunks, 1/2 cup juice and about 3 cups kale.  This make
two servings of 6-8 ounces each. I drink one with breakfast and
one for an afternoon snack. 


TIP
To remove the air insert a clean straw into the bag. Close the bag around the straw. Suck the air out of the bag. Quickly remove the straw and close the bag. Not quite the same as a Food Saver but does a pretty good job.




Place the bags in the freezer and use within one month.

To use put 1 cup of water in a blender and add the frozen ingredients. Blend to desired consistency.
You may need to add more water or juice to your liking.
If your blender can't handle the frozen fruit  and liquid you may need to defrost the bag first.

Defrost over night in the fridge or allow the bag to sit in a bowl of water for about and hour until defrosted enough to blend.


It feels good knowing that I won't be throwing out any more kale. 

Enjoy!

Patti

Joining other health seekers at:

Holiday Battle of the Bulge


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My youngest daughter was just telling me that she would like to try a green smoothie. Thanks for sharing the recipe and the good tips on keeping the kale longer.
melinda

Unknown said...

I just put a few bags containing pineapple, broccoli and banana in the freezer for my broccoli smoothie. Great idea, Doing the prep once definitely saves time. Thanks Patti.