Saturday, February 23, 2013

Damage Control and A Recipe For Grilled Salmon

Have you ever had one of those days when you're trying to do everything right but you mess up royally?

That was my day today. 

While out running errands my husband suggested that we stop and get a chicken pot pie from KFC. 

OK I thought a chicken pot pie full of veggies couldn't be all that bad.

I wasn't prepared and I didn't have my Dining Out guide so I guesstimated the points at around 12-15.

Ha! Was I wrong. After we got home I checked the points. 

21 Points!

I was so mad at myself. I only get 26 points for the whole day!!!

But I couldn't go back and change what had already been done so I did a little damage control. 

First, I looked at what I'd done right that day.

1. I had eaten a low 3 point breakfast. Good

1/2 cup cooked oatmeal
1 apple
1 teaspoon brown sugar

2. With my pot pie I drank water. Good

3. I had 2 points left from my daily allowance after I ate the pot pie. Not great but at least I had something to work with:-)

4. I haven't used any of my extra points for the week. Good


How I salvaged the rest of the day:

I'd already planned to grill salmon steaks for dinner so I decided to go ahead and cook it. 

Dinner
6 ounces grilled Wild Salmon = 8 points (with 1 tsp oil)
Salad with 2 TBS of Sesame Ginger dressing = 1 point
Broccoli and red peppers lightly steamed = 0 points
Yummy!
All this plus a salad for only 9 points!


I also wanted to get in at least one serving of dairy so for an evening snack I made a smoothie. Coconut milk, banana, cherries and a hand full of spinach. All for only 2 points.

I had to dip in to my bonus points to make up the extra 9 points that I went over today. 

But that's OK. I try not to use them but that's what the bonus points are for. 

There was a time that I would have just thrown in the towel and said the heck with it. I screwed up by eating the wrong thing so I might as well forget it and eat whatever I want. 

Just a little damage control and I'm back on track. 


What do you do when you mess up? Give up or do a little damage control?


Recipe
Grilled Salmon Steaks

1 - six - eight ounce salmon steak per person
(Be sure to purchase wild salmon not farm raised.)

For each salmon steak:
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice 
1 teaspoon olive oil 
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Rinse the salmon steaks and pat dry with paper towel.
Brush each steak with oil.
Salt and pepper each steak
Oil the grill grate so the fish doesn't stick. 
Place each steak on the grill and sprinkle with 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice.
Grill over hot coals for 6 minutes. 
Flip the salmon, sprinkle the rest of the lemon juice on the fish and cook another 6 minutes. 
Test for doneness. 
Fish should flake easily. 

Don't overcook!


Enjoy!

Patti




1 comment:

Unknown said...

The salmon looks so good.