Wednesday, January 30, 2013

New Habit For February

Updated October 18, 2103 by Patti
After much research I've changed the way I get my calcium. I've never cared much for dairy products especially milk. I think I might even have a dairy intolerance. That said I did more research and found a book that really changed my thinking. 

  • The Whole Food Guide to Strong Bones by Annemarie Colbin
 

She recommends getting calcium from foods other than dairy. I've been following her advice over the past few months and I think it's the way for me. 


A quick recap:



For February we're doubling up with our new healthy habit:

Eat at least 2 servings of dairy a day

  and 

take a multi-vitamin or calcium supplement each day.


What's a serving?

A few examples:

1 cup of milk
1 cup of yogurt or pudding
2 cups cottage cheese
1 1/2 ounce hard or semi soft cheese
1 cup almond or coconut milk

Remember to check the calorie or points on any food before you chow down. 

Go here to see a really good smoothie that's made with coconut milk and it's only 2 points and equals one serving of dairy.


I've never taken a vitamin (except prenatal) so I can't offer any information right now. I have to do a little research.

Any suggestions?

Remember we're adding healthy habits so keep up that journal and don't forget to eat your fruits and veggies!


Patti

1 comment:

Stella Nemeth said...

I'm not dieting, although I should. I'm not doing weight watchers either. But I am trying to make small changes to my diet to change it for the better.

Good luck with your efforts from someone who "gets" it.