Friday, January 24, 2014

Homemade Ginger Salad Dressing

When you eat a salad for lunch almost everyday you have to find new ways to dress it up. I was thumbing through an old issue of Redbook and came across several recipes for dressings and I thought I'd test them out.

This week I made a jar of Ginger dressing. The original recipe called for 1/4 cup of oil to be added at the end but I opted to use pineapple juice instead. I like the way it turned out. It reminds me of the dressing you get at the Japanese steak house. Easy to make and even though I didn't calculate the points or calories I think it should be pretty low.



Store the dressing in a jar in the fridge and use in 2 or 3 days.


Ginger Dressing
(This can be made in a food processor but I used a blender)

5 or 6 grated carrots (you'll need about 1 1/2 cups)
3 inch piece of fresh ginger, grated
3 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar (use less if you don't like the tart flavor)
1 Tablespoon honey
1 Tablespoon Sesame oil
2 teaspoon soy sauce
Pineapple juice, unsweetened (just enough to make dressing the consistency you want) I used about 1/2 cup

I grated the carrots and ginger on a hand grater and then placed them in a blender with the rest of the ingredients (except the juice) and ran it on grind setting for a minute. The mixture may be too thick to run the blender but you can add the juice to help it along. Continue to add juice and blend until smooth and you have the consistency that's pleasing to you.


Patti

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.