Thursday, October 17, 2013

Spicy Black Bean and Peach Soup - And a Challenge by Patti


First the challenge. For the last two days I've been sorting and cleaning out stuff. I was working in the kitchen today going through my cook books and my desk area and I thought since I'd been working so hard I might treat myself with a trip to Burger King. (I love a Whopper Jr., fries and a coke:-) Then I came across a pamphlet I got last year in a Weight Watchers meeting. 

"The 8-Week Countdown Challenge! What can you achieve by Thanksgiving?"

This made me think about the holidays that are fast approaching and I decided to challenge myself to a 
6-Week Countdown Challenge
My goal is to lose 6 pounds by Thanksgiving. 

I put aside my idea of treating myself to Burger King and decided I'd rather treat myself to shedding 6 (or more) pounds. I had a nice salad for lunch and put on a pot of black bean soup for dinner. 


For this recipe you can use canned black beans or soak and cook dry black beans. I had a some quart size bags of black beans in the freezer that I had cooked up a few weeks ago so I pulled out 2 bags and let them defrost. I then rinsed and drained the beans. I had about 4 cups of beans. 

Ingredients:
Black beans, cooked, rinsed and drained. (about 4 cups or 3- 15 ounce cans)
1 can Original Rotel (the spiciness compliments the sweetness in the peaches)
1- 15 ounce can of peaches in extra light syrup (or use 2 or 3 fresh, ripe peaches) drain the peaches well and rough chop
1 medium onion chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic minced
2 teaspoons coconut oil (or whatever oil you like)
32 ounce container of vegetable stock or chicken broth

Note about salt: If you use canned beans with added salt or cook dry beans and add salt while cooking the beans you shouldn't need to salt the finished soup. Taste it and see before adding additional salt.

In a large pot heat the oil and cook the onions until they are tender (about 5 minutes) add the garlic and cook a minute more. Add the Rotel, beans, peaches and enough broth to cover.
Simmer on low for at least an hour. Add additional broth to make it as soupy as you like.
Before serving use a hand blender and puree the soup mixture. Leave it chunky or make it smooth. It's up to you.

This soup is a meal in itself or you can serve over rice. 
Either way it's pretty tasty. 
I ate this as a soup with a small salad. My husband and son ate it over
rice with cornbread and fried ham steak.  


Happy Cooking!

Patti




Pretty Strong Medicine

No comments: