Friday, August 30, 2013

A Big Salad and a Green Drink by Patti

First let me say that it has taken me quite a while to actually drink a green drink. Something about ground up greens and that bright green color left me a feeling a little queasy...

But after much research and a desire to add more veggies to my diet I decided to just go for it. Kind of treat it like a medicine. Just get it down.

I experimented with a few recipes and finally hit on one that I actually like. As long as I follow a few basic rules.

1. It has to be super cold.
2. I have to drink it with a straw. (Can't really stand that fresh mowed grass smell. Actually I like the fresh mowed grass smell just not in something I'm going to ingest.)
3. It has to be made with pineapple and definitely not cherries. (Cherries change the bright green color to something far worse.)

Place 4 cups of washed kale greens in a blender, add 1 cup of juice or water and 1 cup fresh or
canned (in juice) pineapple. Hit the grate button and finish by blending till you have the
desired consistency. Store in the fridge. 

I enjoy this green drink with breakfast and lunch. It helps to curb my appetite and it provides one serving of fruit and two servings of veggies.

My typical lunch...a big salad and a green drink...

4 cups of romaine, 1 cup of cucumbers, some grated carrot and chopped onions
and pepper. For protein I added 1 cup of kidney beans.
The dressing just a little honey and mustard mixed with a spoonful of the green drink. 

I'm pleasantly surprised that something I once thought of as pretty gross has grown into a drink that I find very refreshing and filling. Will wonders never cease?:-)

Eat well and enjoy a little green today!

Patti

No comments: